Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Personal Evaluation

In the beginning the discussion got away from us. The group being full of talkative and intellectual people was tough to keep in check especially because of the controversial nature of our topic. Despite my efforts I often found myself standing idly by.
Another personal criticism would be that I found myself more focused on the issues and work I found particularly interesting rather than having a broad general knowledge of the subject. It is understandable that I the areas I found interest in would stick with me more so I cannot beat myself up to much.
The questions I was asking though I directed them to a certain degree and spent a great deal of time considering them they were beyond my intellectual power to understand and relate to the group. I don't know even if the discussion in classroom helped to shed light on these issues. It is all a very personal journey. I hope because there was no light shed on my mind that does not mean light was not shed on others.
I felt as though the presentation was informative and the group was very engaged which is a success for my group. I would have liked to have been more engaged with the discussion rather than facilitating it. I found myself thinking more about the issues others where being to the table than being a facilitator. The group was so self propelled I felt as though I could have sat back and let things run their own course. Though, when I did try to join the discussion it either interrupted the flow of the discussion or I found myself losing track of my thoughts... making me trip myself up, draw blanks on information, and over all speak poorly. Perhaps it was nervousness.
I also felt as though I was dominating the direction of the discussion as opposed to allowing my partner get involved. She was much more passive than I was and I am willing to be that was because of my loud and talkative nature. I need to be aware of that next time.
Over all I thought the discussion went well. There were a few areas that could have been improved but I will keep them in mind for this up coming Monday. If anyone wishes to comment on the presentation please feel free. I would like to hear what others thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment